This write-up is part of the Virginia W. P. A. Historical Inventory Project sponsored by the Virginia Conservation Commission under the direction of its Division of History. Credit to both the Commission and the W. P. A. is requested for publication, in whole or in part. Unless otherwise stated, this information has not been checked for accuracy by the sponsor
Kizzie D. Carter
"G. L. Carter Home Place."
Formerly "Ruben Nance Home."
2 miles east of Martinsville, Va. On Route # 58 [map below]; thence north on Route #57 2 miles. House on west side of road.
Ruben Nance 1778
Ruben Nance's Heirs 1812
Benjamin A. Marshall 1825
Reuben D. Marshall 1850
William D. Stultz 1850
G. L. Carter 1905 present owner.
This house is in the shape of a square, with three rooms down and one up. It is very attractive, two-story, frame house. There are two fifteen-pane windows in the front and one in the rear.The ceilings and walls were plastered but recently have been papered. The room upstairs is very small and dark and the only light comes from two half size windows, with four panes each, placed near the chimneys. A new porch has been added in front, and on the side a small stoop over the steps leads into the side of the house. This was built to keep out the rain.There was an old kitchen in the yard but this has been torn down and a new one built in the house.There is an old graveyard in the yard but the markings have entirely faded and some have fallen in.
Deed Book 1 Page 194
Deed Book 13 Page 130; 682; 724
Deed Book 33 Page 149
Will Book 2 Page 163
Verna Smith, daughter of the present owner.
Location: 2 mi. E. of Martinsville, Va. On U. S. #58, thence N. on Rt. 57 2 mi., house on west side of route.County: Henry Date: April 19, 1937