Friday, August 12, 2011

Indexing 'Declarations of Intention's in Cook Co., IL

               
 

The Clerk of the Circuit Court of Cook County, Illinois, Archives is home to more than 400,000 records of Declarations of Intention, which were usually the first papers to be filed by those who wished to become U.S. citizens.   This searchable database was created thanks to a grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC), a division of the National Archives, and a group of dedicated volunteers.

A search of just my ancestor's last name of Stosz gave me the results I had hoped for (shown below).  From this I can now complete the Record Search Request Form (CCG 0026A) and (along with a check for $17.42) request a copy of my Great Grandfathers record.


  
  Done! I look forward to getting a copy of Anton Stosz's Declaration of Intention in the mail.  
      

3 comments:

Susan Clark said...

Thanks for the link! None of my immediate kin are in the register yet, but a couple more extended relations are.

Kathleen Brandt, Professional Genealogist said...

Susan stole my words! Thanks for the link!I bookmarked it for further use after I ran a quick check! Thanks to all of the volunteers!

J. G. said...

I hope you receive the response soon from Cook County. The one I sent away for had a lot of new information listed. Good luck!