Saturday, April 11, 2009

The Rewards of Utilizing Message Boards

In trying to find more information on a picture of my grandfather, I posted a query on the Rootsweb/Ancestry Hungary message board and included a link to my April 9th blog post . Within 24hrs I received this detailed reply to my query in regards to translating the written portion on the backside.

The handwriting is an address, assuming in Budapest:
Bajnok utca = Champion street
30 I m = House number 30, First floor
Bognár Lászlo = name, in Hungarian last name goes first amerika

You can find Bajnok Street on this Map of Budapest at the left side between L and M sections where TEREZVAROS is written = Teresia Town (Budapest Zone VI/6):

http://www.fsz.bme.hu/hungary/budapest/tkp/b23_200.jpg

The printed text is the photographers name and address:
"OPAL" FENYKEPESZETI MUTEREM = Opal Fotography Studio
BUDAPEST VII = Zone 7, KEREPESI UT = Road
You can find KEREPESI UT, the main Road at the lower middle of the same map.

Another mystery solved.

No comments: