Monday, June 14, 2010

52 Weeks to Better Genealogy Challenge - It's here!!

The Interlibrary Loan

While researching the ancestry of Susannah Underwood and taking down her parental brick wall I came across references to snipets of a book that appeared to have potential in filling in the gaps of her ancestry.
The Underwoods, from Roaring Gap (NC) to Dumplin Valley (TN) and onward: And related families
by Burl Underwood  
1987

It was listed on Amazon as being 'out of print' and I saw one copy on the resale market for ~$100!
...Time to look into the interlibrary loan option.

The interlibrary loan process allows a user of one library to borrow books or receive photocopies of documents that are owned by another library. The patron makes a request with their local library, which then identifies owners of the desired item, places the request, receives the item, makes it available to the user, and arranges for its return. The Fairfax County Public Library Chantilly Branch did this for me at no charge.  It was extremely simple and painless.  I received an email alerting me that the book was available at my branch.
I was very happy to learn that I could actually check it out and bring it home to gleen all the important and wonderful facts from the book in the comfort of my P.J's!
Now all I need are more hours in the day....

1 comment:

Lisa Swanson Ellam said...

Wow, I've never tried this option! Good thinking! Thanks for sharing.
Lisa