(Types of Cemeteries: Church, Commercial, Community, Family, Military, Slave)
2. Research the cemetery using:
- Cemetery Vertical files
- Census information
- Historical newspapers
- Civil War military records
- Deeds, wills etc.
• broken, leaning or fallen markers
• any evidence of vandalism
• unusual markers- zinc markers for example
• markers with symbolism
• different views of the cemetery and markers
C. Record inscription information from markers, not recorded in earlier surveys.
D. Record observations and recommendations for the cemetery.
● Some Trash
● Style of Enclosures
● Do not agree with markers being moved
4. Complete the Survey - Include all important historical information learned in research
• digital copies of the photographs with descriptions/ captions
*pertinent information to the cemetery -example a map of the cemetery
*yard stick or walking stick
4. Do not try to move or repair markers without the advice of a professional.
5. If the cemetery is in need of a clean up, ask neighbors etc. for suggestions of groups who might want to conduct a clean up.